Saturday, January 12, 2013

Christmas Eve Letter - 2012



Feliz Véspera de Natal! Happy Christmas Eve!!

Well I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to say...I am going to talk to you all tomorrow!

You nailed it, mom, it is pretty hot today and it looks like it will only be getting hotter. Being Santa was pretty cool.  Could you send me those pictures that Daniel put on Facebook? I would like to see those. And Elder Singelo stayed with me the whole time, except on Friday and Saturday during the week when we were able to do splits and train a little bit in the work in Pelotas. Oh, and Leo Carvalho Sanchez is our companion! But we know him as "Elder Sanchez".  He is way funny and I am loving having him with us. Oh, and I was able to visit with Brother Gasparino in Pelotas, love that guy, he said that he talks with you all sometimes.  

So this week we had our big conference here in Porto Alegre on Monday morning until the afternoon. Elder Singelo and I then got a ride to Pelotas with the two sons of Elder Godoy, David and Lucas, they were way cool and very humble. David served his mission here in our mission, he was assistant too.  His call was so weird because he has relatives here, he served in the ward of his grandfather, haha.  The Lord works in mysterious ways. We got there almost 9 at night and then stayed the night at Elder Tolentino´s house.  That is there close to the stake center where we would have the conference. The next morning we had the conference there in Pelotas until the afternoon with Elder Godoy. We drove home to Porto Alegre that night with President and Sister Castro. That night we finalized our conference and our message that we would give.  

The next morning, Wednesday, we had our Christmas conference here in Porto Alegre at the army base. There is a member that is commander of the base and he offered everything to us. When we got back to the office we were able to do splits and Elder Sanchez and I taught a lesson to Daisy.  She wants her husband to baptized with her.  The next day we were able to work a little bit in the afternoon until about 4:30 when we went back to the office to get some things, then we went to the bus station and got a bus to Pelotas, we got there at about 9:30 and got a taxi to Elder Tolentino´s house.

We then had the Christmas conference in Pelotas on Friday morning until the afternoon.  After we did splits with another companionship to help out and then stayed the night with the other zone leaders in Pelotas. We then did splits with another Elder that was called as a district leader this last transfer and we were able to help him and give him a few ideas.  Later that night we went to a big baptismal service of the stake and I did a baptismal interview.  Her name was Érika, a little girl with 8 years!  She was so cool and very special!  There was then the baptismal service where 8 people were baptized.  It then got so late that Presidente decided that it would better stay the night and go the next morning...but our ward starts in the morning so we got a bus from Pelotas at 6 in the morning. We got in Porto Alegre in time for our sacrament mtg. We then had a day of work :)  Many of these days include late nights and very early mornings haha, so I am glad to be sleeping 8 hours a night again. haha.  

We were getting Mateus to do splits with us on Thursday and while I was talking to his mom, I was feeling fine and she just stopped and said "You look exhausted!"  She was telling me that my eyes were all tired and red...but I was feeling fine! haha. It is so true that when we are doing what the Lord wants he gives us more forces.  I love a scripture that Presidente Castro shares with us in Psalms 127:1-2  (1) Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. (2) It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.

That scripture basically sums it all up. Oh, and we had to follow up with all of the Zone leaders this morning, so our prep day will go until about 7:30. 

Brother Manteigas has invited us over to his house tonight.  The secretaries, Elder Sanchez and we will be getting there at 8 and he will take us home before 11...that is the mission rule for Christmas.

Don’t worry about the packages, I am not needing anything!  I am loving life here and fine :)  And I don’t think that the Castros have gotten there package yet.

Oh and I am allowed to talk an hour on the phone...manage the time well :)

So I will be at Irmão Manteigas house to call on Tuesday.  I should be able to enter into contact with you at 7:30 our time.  I think Gmail chat would work fine again.  Haha, no they do not eat chili candy here dad.  Oh and as you can imagine dad, that Santa outfit was really, really hot!!!

At the conferences we talked about baptism! And how it is the biggest miracle here on earth and we talked about the importance of it...it was pretty cool.  All of the missionaries liked it a lot.

Elder Godoy talked about Satan’s weapons against us and investigators, building Zion, and many other things.  He made two promises for our mission.  IF we spend 30% of our time on less actives we will double our number of baptisms and if we use the Book of Mormon more we will have much more converts that will stay active and always with a testimony.

Well I am going to talk with all tomorrow so I will get going now :)

Oh and I would love to do an EMT class when I get home. Great idea!

Love Elder Bradley J. Dawson

No comments:

Post a Comment