Monday, July 18, 2011

July 18, 2011

Dear Family,
I liked your letter and all, don’t get me wrong, but you don´t have to beat around the bush! I know Harry Potter came out last week; I’m in Brazil, not under a rock! How was it? My companion who has never even read the books is taking it pretty hard, hah.
As to what is going on here, It was sunny and even a little hot last week and then this Saturday it got really cloudy, cold, and wet. It has been raining for a while now. You know it is going to rain because the day or two before it gets really hot and humid. But yesterday I had the best lunch in the world...I didn’t eat for the rest of the day and don’t feel like eating ever again. A member made some churrasco, 10 kilos of meat, of all kinds. When I reached for another piece of meat, there were plenty, the look on our wards sisters’ faces was priceless. I wish I had a camera. It was perfect, and then we had a mousse of maracuja...the fruit that makes you get really sleepy. Afternoons around this time are already very sleepy, but after stuffing myself silly, having the sleeping fruit, and getting outside with the cool humidity hitting my face. I was ready to crash, but I persevered!
We did splits this week with the zone leaders. I went down to Ponto Grosso for a day with Elder Belarmino, he is the man! And he taught me how to make this chocolate cake for family nights and baptisms and things, he worked in a bakery back home in... Mino Gerais. It was great and I learned a lot from him. With a member in his ward we actually gained an investigator in my area! Maurisa is her name and she just had surgery for her cornea, I believe (what’s the word for cornea in Russian Brandon?? that´s what I thought pffff). We stopped by her house yesterday but she was resting on some pain meds.  I could have taught her better with her like that! I know that sleepy daze all too well. She is a little older, but really likes our message and Elder Belarmino and I gave her a blessing too. We have the opportunity to give a lot of blessings to members here too. But we are going to stop by again and check on her in the coming days.
We taught Vito this week the plan of salvation and the principles of Christ´s gospel. But he is still not reading the Book of Mormon and praying. It is hard to stress it any further that all he has to do to get an answer is read the book! Ha. I’m sure those RM´s know what I am talking about. His daughter Vitoria was at her mom´s house but she actually read some of the Book of Mormon we learned.
Mateus is progressing! He travelled Sunday morning so he could not go to church but he has agreed to stop drinking coffee! He really is an awesome kid. He loves soccer and has a big heart. We were walking home one night and saw him with his mom and sister walking down the street with 2 baby puppies he snagged; they were abandoned and would have died in the cold and humidity. But his mom has not been home for us to teach her as well but Bianca, who `is not interested and will not change religions` has agreed to stop smoking and even stopped by the church during seminary Friday night! I have a feeling we will have a double baptism in august :)!
Margaret and Pedro have been pretty `busy` every time we have passed but really friendly, I will just have to be an example to her that Americans aren´t as bad as she says, ha.
Aula de Inglés! Myself and Sister Michael are teaching 2 free English classes! Wednesday night at 7 is for all 8 yr olds to 18 yr olds and the following day at 7 is the adults. We had 20 kids at the chapel Wednesday and due to the rain and wind no adults came, but no one was out anywhere either...
We had a family night with Irmã Patrìcia and her daughter and 2 sons Monday night and have another one tonight with Irmão Renato and Irmão Pedro tonight, with families. I love family nights! Last week we made `American cookies´ that didn’t turn out...interesting, ha. We used the recipe of another Elder. Could you send me a recipe for cookies and brownies mom? That would be great! Oh and I doubt you can find this there, it is a Gaücho thing, but we drink chimarrão at all the members houses. It is this herbal drinks that people take everywhere. Even church...our ward is very...free spirited?
It sounds like the funeral and everything went well. I have been praying for the family as well. I’m glad Sam is doing well, he is a strong missionary. I will hopefully have time to write him tonight.
The baptism!! How was it?? I have been telling people about it all week. I really wish I could have been there. I bet Erin gave a great talk.  Oh and mom, I am deeply deeply sorry, please don’t fly down here and beat me, but I don’t have my camera with me to upload some pictures! It has been raining all day and I don’t want to ruin it. My backpack has been soaked through for a few days now. But next week! I promise! I will get my hands on a plastic baggy.
Happy Birthday Miley! I have your pictures up at me desk so I can see them when I am studying in the morning and planning at night, pretty much the only time I am in the house :). They are B-e-a-Uitful! All the other missionaries are jealous. Just think, when I get home you will be finishing your first year of school! Crazy! Love you bug, remember to tickle and tease your parents everyday and you will turn out alright.
I think that is everyone....Oh. Right. Brandon.
Well just for everyone to learn a little bit about my brother Brandon, His birthday is tomorrow (I remembered.), I received a letter about 2 weeks ago titled from him, it was sitting in my backpack all day and I couldn’t wait to get home and read it. I get home, tear about the envelope and what do I find?? A plastic baggy filled to the brim with orange-red hair. That´s right. He wasted a dollar (which is a pack of top-ramen equivalent for me), and made me suffer all day to send me some of his hair...I cut my own hair today Brandon...Happy Birthday.
Tell Daniel to stop stealing my friends! Scaring some quail and getting them out of the garage is real cute and all, (I can imagine them playing with baby birds, laughing, and having a great time and all) but Torrin is my friend. But really, that is a pretty funny story, we don’t have quail here, but this crazy thing with this red face and feathers that stick out everywhere.
            Thanks for all of the love and support! I know that this is truly the work of the Lord and I am striving everyday to be a more pure instrument in His hands. I am so grateful for the prayers, please remember our investigators here and help us to work with the members to convert. Every member a missionary.

Love, Elder Bradley J. Dawson

No comments:

Post a Comment